Sometimes, we all find ourselves in an emotional and motivational slump and it’s probably even more so during the last few months of 2020. You feel frustrated and worried as nothing is going to plan in our businesses and in the economy.
Yes, there are only so many motivational quotes and posters one can read to try stay inspired.
In times like these, I am reminded of Stephen Covey’s concept of the Circle of Concern and Circle of Influence from his book – The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
For those who are unfamiliar with this concept: within the Circle of Influence, at the centre, lies a smaller Circle of Control. These are all the aspects in life that we can personally control from our words, to our actions, to what we think and whom we associate ourselves with.
On the outskirts of the Circle of Control is our Circle of Influence. In this circle lies our work ethics, our businesses and our health – everything in life which we can somewhat gain control over. Our Circle of Concern is the outermost circle and contains everything we as individuals cannot control such as; the economy, the government, natural disasters and so forth.
So, to simplify the concept: if you work hard on yourself and what you can control within the Circle of Control and Influence, that circle will eventually expand and reduce the negative stresses derived from the Circle of Concern. However, if you only focus on the Circle of Concern and waste time and energy on things that are beyond your control, your Circle of Influence shrinks.
Where you focus your energy and time will determine your level of stress and whether you are a proactive or reactive person.
Here are a number of ways in which you can become more proactive and expand your Circle of Control or Influence personally and professionally:
- Avoid negative social media posts or articles – these are known to affect your mind-set and nowadays it is getting harder to determine fact from fiction on the social media platforms.
- Prioritize and plan your time wisely. Start by identifying the time of day when you the most productive and schedule your tasks according to your productivity levels in order to accomplish your daily goals.
- Surround yourself with positive people or knowledgeable people who will keep you inspired. Leverage off their energy and skills and learn from them.
- Identify the problems which you can control and influence or solve. If you need support or help don’t be afraid to reach out to those that can help you. Even the most vulnerable of people have become successful once they embraced their vulnerability.
- Attend impactful webinars that will add value to your life – for business as well as recreational purposes. There are many pearls of wisdom to be found in webinars hosted by reputable training companies and coaches.
- Look after your mental and physical well-being. Your health is in your hands. If you do not have good health this will have negative repercussions on your life and your Circle of Influence for many months or years to come.
Obviously, practice makes perfect and you need to apply yourself in order to achieve a proactive frame of mind. Do things one step at a time.
Remember what Victor Frankl said, “we give life meaning through our actions, but also through loving and, finally through suffering”. It is always possible to say yes to life.
Need help to stay inspired, become more proactive in your business and expand your Circle of Influence?
Complete the Get My Business Booming Survey and qualify for a one hour free business strategy consultation: https://bertweenink.com/survey-get-my-business-started/ or connect with me directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in great business,